Money vs. Happiness

"Pragmatic? CHEAP!! IT CAUSES HIM PHYSICAL PAIN TO PART WITH EVEN A NICKEL!" (Spiegelman 131).


In Maus, Spiegelman discusses the concept of valuing money over health and happiness. Even though Vladek has enough money to spend on luxuries or even on basic necessities, he behaves like a penny pincher. He is completely opposed to spending money on anything and always tries to spend the least amount possible when he must buy something. In addition to restricting himself, Vladek also doesn't want Art to spend money on things. Spiegelman says it’s understandable why Vladek behaves this way about money even though he doesn’t need to. As a Holocaust survivor, he just wants to be prepared if such a horrific event ever happens again. However, Spiegelman also expresses that Vladek was an extreme case by comparing him to the other survivors. Spiegelman says nobody else was as crazy as Vladek about saving money. Ultimately, Vladek being such a penny pincher is in strong correlation to how he and other survivors of the Holocaust are so cautious about spending money.

Vladek’s behavior in regards to money made me realize I also behave this way sometimes. Definitely not to the extent of Vladek, but I often choose not to buy certain things I might like to have because it’s not worth it. For example, when I find a shirt that I like at the mall, before buying it I always check the price and think whether or not it’s worth it. I wouldn’t call myself a penny pincher like Vladek, but I certainly do try to make smart choices when it comes to spending money.

Comments

  1. It's interesting how this situation caused you to have a realization about yourself. There is no person out there who wouldn't jump at the chance to obtain something at a cheaper price. Do you agree that it is because of the Holocaust that made Vladeck like that? Or is it just his personality?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the Holocaust greatly contributed to Vladek’s conservative behavior regarding money, however it is also just the way he is. I believe this because many other survivors Art knew of and compared Vladek to were not as extreme as him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you chose to explore this element of Vladek's character and then tied that in to situations you experience in your own life. I definitely thought that the way Maus wove the two story lines together was one of the most interesting parts of the book because it is rare that we get to immediately see the impact that someone's past events have on them. I feel like Vladek might behave in this way because knowing how hard it was obtain even basic necessities during the Holocaust has made him appreciate the little things even more, making him very conscious about not wasting things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The connection you made from the novel to yourself is great! Maus is definitely a relatable novel in the sense that certain characteristics of the characters, whether they be of Vladek, Art, or Francoise, are directly relevant to our lives. I think that characteristics like "penny-pinching" would be exemplified in us if we were to endure the same circumstances as Vladek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how described Vladek as a "penny pincher." And I really like how you connected it with yourself. And the picture you put in your blog really connects to your blog a lot. I think that sometimes we all do act like Vladek but I think that it to an extent. And I also think that Vladek should not stop Art from using his money because it his choice. Even though Vladek was in a situation where his freedom was completely lost. It is ironic that he wants to take away the choice that Art makes on spending his money.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment